Friday, May 22, 2015

Banana Pancakes

Sunday morning was pancake morning in my house. Every week, after five days straight of oatmeal or cream of wheat, Saturday would be cereal day and Sunday would be pancake morning. I woke up when my mom did and would help her in the kitchen. She used a mix-- usually the Betty Crocker Just Add Water kind, although occasionally we'd buy Aunt Jemima or Bisquick.-- and would mix the water in and go. The first one would always be too light, but then after that she always got them that perfect Denny's-commercial-worthy golden brown color.  We used Parkay Squeeze margarine on top of the pancakes and topped it heavily with the Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin sugar syrup. 

And although now I scoff at box mixes, margarine, and fake syrup, I still love pancakes. Thus the ongoing search for the best recipe. Last week, the DH and I made breakfast for dinner after a long work week. He cooked the frittata and I made pancakes using this recipe: 

Everyday Pancakes, by Mark Bittman
(http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1893-everyday-pancakes)

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ to 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted and cooledbutter (optional), plus unmelted butter for cooking, or use neutral oil

PREPARATION

  1. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Beat eggs into 1 1/2 cups milk, then stir in 2 tablespoons melted cooled butter, if using it. Gently stir this mixture into dry ingredients, mixing only enough to moisten flour; don't worry about a few lumps. If batter seems thick, add a little more milk.
  2. Place a teaspoon or 2 of butter or oil on griddle or skillet. When butter foam subsides or oil shimmers, ladle batter onto griddle or skillet, making pancakes of any size you like. Adjust heat as necessary; usually, first batch will require higher heat than subsequent batches. Flip pancakes after bubbles rise to surface and bottoms brown, after 2 to 4 minutes.
  3. Cook until second side is lightly browned. Serve, or hold on an ovenproof plate in a 200-degree oven for up to 15 minutes.
  4. MY NOTES:
  5. 1. I smashed in a very ripe banana into the batter-- delicious as always. I also added walnuts and some chocolate chips and served warm real maple syrup on the side. 
  6. 2. I also made these on a Griddler because it allows me to make several at once. I set both plates for 350 degrees. 
  7. 3. I halved the recipe, but otherwise really made no adjustments. I left out the tablespoon of sugar. 
  8. 4. These ended up being a little dry, even with the banana-- probably because I let them sit too long on the griddler. And ask the pictures show, they didn't turn out that beautiful even tan color that my mother's pancakes had. 
  9. 5. I've also included a picture of the DH's frittata because he's rather proud of it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment