Sunday, September 13, 2015

Peanut Butter Honey Cookies

These cookies came from the book "Baking with Less Sugar", written by Joanna Chang, of the Flour bakeries in the Boston Area. I had heard about Flour many years ago, and had the good fortune to visit one in Cambridge last year. We had a peach dessert and it was fantastic. When I saw this book, I immediately got my hands on it because I have the same problem as Chang's husband-- I'm very sensitive to sugar. I love the stuff, too much. But I have such a problem controlling how much of it I eat and I inevitably end up high on it, and then crash later. It's not pretty. It's something I'm working on-- but moderation is an elusive concept sometimes, especially to someone who loves putzing around the kitchen as much as I do. So anyway, I had high hopes for the book. At first pass, the recipes don't necessarily seem to be super low sugar-- really, I think the book would've better been named "Baking with Less White Refined Sugar". Chang has organized the book based on sweetner-- recipes using honey, recipes using maple syrup, or just chocolate, etc. But overall there is still a sizeable amount of sugar (unrefined, but still) in the recipes. Granted, certainly less sugar than the traditional recipes, but still.

I picked this recipe to try out first because the DH was given a jar of honey from one of his attendings who owns his own apiary. I thought it might be nice to make a treat that was sweetened only with the honey to give back. However, while the recipe did come out, the honey was masked by the peanut butter so I don't think I'll be sending them along. Which is fine! More for us, and another excuse to try another recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment