Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Tofu Nut Balls

Recipe: directly copied from in pursuit of more blog
http://inpursuitofmore.com/2018/03/26/tofu-nut-balls/

and she cites the recipe as inspired by the Moosewood cookbook.

Tofu Nut Balls

~ from the Moosewood Cookbook
1/2 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
1 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
250g firm tofu, mashed
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp salt
a little oil for the baking sheet or frying pan
Place the rice and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to the lowest possible simmer. Cook until very soft (mushy even) for about 35 to 45 minutes.
You get to choose between sautéing the balls or baking them. If you are baking them, preheat the over to 350ºF and lightly oil a baking sheet. If you are sautéeing, have ready a skillet and a little oil. Place the soy sauce and half the mashed tofu in a blender or food processor, and add about 3/4 of the cooked rice. Blend to a thick paste. Place the remaining tofu in a medium-sized bowl. add the blended mixture, along with the almonds, bread crumbs, salt, and remaining rice. Taste to see if it needs more salt. Using your hands, form the batter into 1-inch balls.
To cook, you can either sauté them in a little hot oil for about 15 minutes OR bake them on a lightly oiled tray for 30 minutes at 350-375 degrees. Serve hot, with your choice of sauce or condiment. These are great cold too! Crumble leftovers onto a green salad or smoosh them in a sandwich.


My notes:
I pressure cooked the short grain brown rice
I ground the almonds up in a food processor-- I bet almond meal would work well here too.
I also ground the breadcrumbs up myself from old bread.
I baked most of them and fried a few. These are delicious fried-- baked is okay.
I think these have great potential to be spiced up a bit more-- flavored tofu, or chili sauce, or herbs. I think I'd toy with the seasoning next time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment