Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Sticky Toffee Whole Wheat Date Cake

I saved this recipe purely because it's from Jessica Koslow (of Sqirl fame).

Sticky Toffee Whole-Wheat Date Cake
"Koslow's take on a classic sticky toffee pudding gets a big boost of flavor from plump Medjool dates and hearty whole wheat flour."

Ingredients: 
For the cake: 
1 stick plus 6 TBSP unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
1/2 lb. pitted Medjool dates, chopped
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dried currants
1 cup whole -wheat flour
1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon


3/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the toffee:
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
2 TBSP unsalted butter
fleur de sel, for sprinkling

How to Make It
Step 1   
Make the cake Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan. In a small saucepan, combine the dates with the lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water; cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the dates are very soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in the currants and let cool.

Step 2   
In a medium bowl, whisk both flours with the baking soda, cinnamon, fine sea salt, cardamom and ginger. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons of butter with the brown sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the cooled date mixture and the vanilla. At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients until incorporated, scraping down the side and bottom of the bowl as needed.

Step 3   
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack set over a baking sheet.

Step 4   
Meanwhile, make the toffee In a small saucepan, whisk the agave with the brown sugar and fine sea salt and bring just to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.

Step 5   
Gradually spoon half of the warm sticky toffee over the cake, allowing it to be absorbed slightly before adding more. Let cool completely, about 2 hours.

Step 6   

Rewarm the remaining toffee topping if necessary and spread it evenly over the cake. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cut the cake into squares and serve.

My Thoughts:
1. Too sweet in it's final form. Not a breakfast cake.
2. I used deglet noor dates that were slightly old, so I wasn't able to chop them super fine-- they were more or less diced.
3. I used cranberries and raisins instead of currants, and frankly, I'd leave them out if I were to ever make this again because they added too much sugar.
4. I used a mix of brown sugar and white sugar + molasses for the toffee because I'd run out of brown sugar.
5. My cake sunk in the middle-- probably because the dates were too chunky and there was so much dried fruit. Next time, I'd omit the raisins or chop them finer.
6. The toffee really didn't absorb into the cake super well.
7. It was way too sweet overall. I'd omit or halve the toffee on the cake.
8. Overall, I doubt I'd make again. If I did, I'd consider just making the cake and swirling some caramel on top. The cake rises well and is delicious but not light (so many dates, nearly two sticks of butter).
9. UPDATE: TK says he liked it. I might try to reduce the sugar somehow but would consider making again.


My Pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment