Monday, February 21, 2022

Vegan brownies (uses flax eggs)

 Saw this on Insta, tried it out because I had some leftover vegan butter. 

From A Big Man’s World:


Ingredients


Instructions

  • Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with your brewed (chilled) coffee. Let it sit for 10 minutes, to form a gel.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  • In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, melt your chocolate chips of choice. Set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, add your vegan butter and coconut sugar, and whisk well. Add in your prepared flax eggs, melted chocolate, vanilla, and almond extract, and mix well, until glossy.
  • Sift through your flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. If using chocolate chips, fold them through. 
  • Transfer your brownie batter into the lined pan. Bake your brownies for 30-35 minutes. 
  • Remove brownies from the oven and let cool completely, before slicing into 12 pieces.


My notes:

1. Not balanced, not chocolate -y enough, but good texture, and uses half of the normal amount of butter so would consider a retry. I also sort of messed this up the first time in that I accidentally used 6 oz of butter not 6 TBSPs, so I had to double the recipe and I didn’t double the amount of coffee, just added more water… I used imitation vanilla too

2. I modified the directions a bit— 1 cup chips = 6oz chocolate, so I just melted 12 oz of bars and also melted the vegan butter into it too because I didn’t understand how else to do it. I obviously only used vanillin and not the almond extract. I also used white sugar and not coconut sugar. 

3. Would consider making again only because the texture was pretty fantastic, considering it has half the the usual amount of butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment