Monday, February 18, 2019

Tamale Pie

Saw this recipe on the back of the Albers cornmeal box. Decided to make it !

1. I used soy chorizo and lentils (the TJs precooked) instead of beef. Because the soy chorizo is pretty oily and well-flavored, I did not use enchilada sauce. Instead I poured maybe 3/4 cup leftover roasted tomatillo salsa on top and threw in some diced Serrano chilis and called it. The filling is pretty independent of the rest of the dish so I could’ve thrown in mushrooms, other veggies, and spiced it how I wanted.
2. The cornmeal mix on the stove needs to be stirred/whisked pretty constantly in order to avoid clumping. I stuck to the recipe pretty close this time,  but I don’t know that the flavor of the canned green chiles really came through— could probably omit or sub next time.
3. It was hard to spread the cornmeal dough up the sides of the pan. I’m not sure if it’s because I didn’t butter the pan enough or if I didn’t let the cornmeal mixture thickens enough, but I had trouble.
4. I topped the dish with a nice thick layer of cheese (ghost pepper cheddar from TJs, which honestly wasn’t that exciting, regular cheddar or pepper jack would’ve been just fine). And sprinkled cilantro on top. Green onions would’ve worked too. We served with sour cream and guac for some moisture.
5. It’s nice! An easy one pan meal and serves a crowd. Reheats well, and would make again.




No comments:

Post a Comment