Saturday, July 27, 2019

Nectarine Cobbler

Made this recipe from Family Circle:


Ingredients

Biscuits:

Directions

  1. 1Heat oven to 375 degrees . Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In bowl, combine nectarines, sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour into dish.

Prepare Biscuits:

  1. 1In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg, butter and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Stir sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until a dough is formed.
  2. 2On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll out dough to 1/3-inch thickness. Using a 1-3/4-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 6 biscuits. Gather dough together and repeat for a total of 12 biscuits.
  3. 3Place biscuits on top of fruit mixture, spacing evenly over fruit filling, and brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, until biscuits are browned and fruit is bubbly. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.


My changes: 

1. I didn't use the entire 1/2 cup of white sugar in the filling-- I probably used closer to 1/3 cup, because the fruit was pretty ripe. 
2. I used 5 nectarines/peaches (and left the skins on) and then added some blueberries, a few very, cherry plums. I cut the nectarines into thin slices. 
3. I added spices -- cardamom and cloves to the filling as well as a nice squeeze of lemon juice. 
4. I used full fat sour cream instead of reduced fat sour cream
5. The biscuit dough came out quite sticky for me. I attribute this to one of several reasons: I did my best to measure out a 3/4 cup of it, but I may have been off.  I also used full-fat, not low-fat sour cream. I didn't do the best job of rolling out the dough to the thickness they recommended (mostly because it was so sticky, and I was wary of adding too much flour to be able to roll it out. I used an 8x8 pan (which worked volume-wise) which didn't have a lot of top surface area, so I couldn't place the biscuits down in a single layer. So long story, but the dough was tricky to handle and the underside of the biscuits didn't cook where they overlapped. Next time, I'd be sure to not overlap the biscuits, OR partially cook them separately and then transfer them on top midbake. 
6. I would consider making again, though, because it tasted great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment