Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Peach-and-raspberry-oat cobbler


I had this saved in my cooking folder, and decided to make it on a day when I had so much ripe fruit I had to do something with it all.




Peach-and-Raspberry Oat Cobbler




Rolled oats add texture and richness to the sweet biscuit topping for this easy-to-make cobbler.
TOTAL TIMEPREPSERVINGS

Ingredients




Filling

Topping

Directions


  1. 1. Filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together peaches, raspberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.

  2. 2. Topping: Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter; using your fingers, work it into dry ingredients until largest pieces are the size of small peas. Add oats and cream; stir with a fork until combined and a soft, sticky dough forms. Use two spoons to divide into 9 pieces, distributing evenly over fruit in baking dish. Brush tops with cream. Sprinkle with more oats, then sanding sugar.

  3. 3. Bake until bubbling in center and biscuits are golden brown, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes (if browning too quickly, tent with foil after about 45 minutes). Let cool at least 2 hours before serving, topped with more cream.

Variations

Cherry: In step 1, stir together 2 pounds sour cherries, pitted (5 cups); 3/4 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons cornstarch; 1 teaspoon lemon juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Plum-Nectarine: In step 1, stir together 2 pounds plums (preferably Italian prune; about 9 small), cut into 1/2-inch wedges (5 1/4 cups); 1 pound nectarines (about 3), cut into 1/2-inch wedges (2 1/2 cups); 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of plums); 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch; 1 teaspoon lemon juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Mixed Berry: In step 1, stir together 5 cups mixed raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries; 3/4 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons cornstarch; 2 teaspoons lemon juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Apricot-Strawberry: In step 1, stir together 2 1/4 pounds apricots, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (6 cups); 6 ounces strawberries, coarsely chopped (1 cup); 1 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons cornstarch; 1 teaspoon lemon juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In step 3, bake 1 hour.

Cook's Notes

The trick to pillowy biscuits is to leave pea-size bits of butter intact, and mix only until the dough forms. It'll be sticky, so use two spoons to drop it onto the fruit.


My thoughts:
1. I used an 8x8 pan (which is closer to 2 quarts)-- should’ve had a cookie sheet underneath for the juice drippings, though
2. I used a mix of peaches, nectarines, pears, blueberries, and mangoes. It was mostly nectarines (1lbs, 12 oz of nectarines/peaches), with two pears and 1/2 a mango cut into chunks. I didn't really measure these exactly, but tried to get it close to what I thought the total volume of fruit was in the original recipe. I liked my fruit mix just fine, but maybe could've added a little more lemon juice?
3. I would add spices next time-- allspice, or cinnamon.
4. Biscuits were yummy. I used salted butter in the dough, and tried to adjust it but mine came out undersalted a bit, but still yummy.
5. Took closer to 50 minutes in my oven. But I might consider letting it go a little bit longer because I thought that the undersides of the biscuits-- the parts touching the fruit--were not 100% done (they were 99% done).
6. I also made it pretty piecemeal. I had the fruit mixed and sitting the fridge, the dough mixed and sitting in the fridge and sort of did the rest throughout the day.
7. I'd absolutely 100% make it or one of the variations again. TK approved it.


My notes from second attempt on 7/10/20
1. I brushed the tops with cream before sprinkling with turbinado and rolled oats and I feel like I got a much better color for the biscuits. I also used the grist and toll Sonora flour for these.
2. I followed the recipe and used 2.5 lbs (7 peaches) and 6oz raspberries this time
3. I did the last 10 minutes or so with a foil tent so the biscuits wouldn’t over brown. Last time the bottom of the biscuits were slightly not done, so I wanted these to be in the oven closer to the full hour.
4. I did a much better job of getting the biscuits even. I used a scale and measured each biscuit to be 2 oz or so.
5. Fits much better in the 9x9 pan than the 8x8



No comments:

Post a Comment