Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Honey Whole Wheat English Muffins (uses Buttermilk)



 This recipe is from Real Simple. 

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/honey-whole-wheat-english-muffins

You may ask yourself, what’s the point of homemade English muffins? The store-bought ones are pretty darn delicious. But this recipe makes English muffins that are twice as delicious. You cook each muffin in a skillet (we recommend cast iron) until its deep golden brown. The results are tender but toasted, full of good wheat flavor and cloud-like pockets for melted butter to pool in. Be sure to split the muffins with a fork and not with a knife to keep the nooks and crannies open. Serve with plenty of butter and your favorite jam.


Ingredients

Ingredient Checklist

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Microwave buttermilk until warm, about 30 seconds. Stir in sugar and yeast. Set aside until bubbly, about 15 minutes.

  • Pour yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Stir in honey, butter, flour, and salt. Beat on low for 2 minutes, scraping down sides after 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat until smooth, 7 minutes. (Dough will be sticky.) Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic and set in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, 1½ to 2 hours.

  • Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Fold into thirds like a letter, cover with plastic, and let rest for 10 minutes.

  • Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a ball, place on baking sheet, and pat into a 1-inch-thick disk, turning to coat in cornmeal. Cover with plastic; let rest until puffy, 30 to 40 minutes.

  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium; lightly brush with oil. Cook muffins until golden brown and firm, about 5 minutes per side.

Nutrition Facts

 
104 calories; fat 2g; saturated fat 1g; protein 3.4g; carbohydrates 19.8g; fiber 2.1g; sugars 5.7g; cholesterol 4.8mg; sodium 218.8mg.


My thoughts:

1. I used a 50/50 mix of whole wheat pastry flour and bread flour because that's all I had. This may have been partly why the dough was so soft even after kneading with a wooden spoon for 7-10 minutes. 

2. I heated the buttermilk (which was already at room temp) up for 20 seconds, but next time would consider checking temp to make sure it's between 110 to 115 for the yeast to activate a little better. 

3. I also was making this on a colder day, so it took longer to rise, and I started working with it before it fully doubled in size. I placed it in front of the oven vent, so the dough itself was warmed as well... could also be why the dough was so soft.

4. When I turned the dough out, I had to add at least 1/2 cup extra pastry flour in order to even touch it without it sticking to my fingers. 

5. I continued on, and the end product is actually decent! Definitely can taste the whole wheat and the honey, but I like it. I would consider making again if I had the buttermilk, and would try with actual real whole wheat flour and also would try to let it get the full rise (I wonder if I could overnight it? Worth a shot I think). 



No comments:

Post a Comment