Monday, February 15, 2021

Pumpkin Pie with Praline topping

 Made this from Cooking Light 






My thoughts:

1. I made my own pie crust. Used the deep dish pie plate, and of course placed pie plate on a cookie sheet on the oven, all of which is standard pie operating protocol.

2. I bought the fat free evaporated milk and did the two egg white thing, just to see, and it tastes just fine,  but I think in the future I’d stick to the back of the Libby’s can for the filling, because I like that more and this version isn’t drastically different or healthier. I did use the spicing ratios from Libby’s (1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, and nutmeg cause why not) because the recipe ratios looked way too reduced for my liking. 

3. I followed the praline recipe pretty much exactly, (I measured the flour to 2.1 oz which was a bit shy of 1/2 cup) though in the end I tossed a few more pecans on there because it looked a little bare. I also didn’t measure the honey really, and just drizzled to my heart’s content. 

4. Baked as directed and it was done maybe 2-3 minutes early. 

5. Overall, the praline topping is an interesting idea, a fun twist, though I do enjoy a classic pumpkin pie. I’d consider incorporating it now and again. I wouldn’t necessarily make the lower fat filling again unless I just happened to have fat free evaporated milk lying around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment